Monday, February 1, 2010

Con Ed Clear Cut Victims Speak Up - a must read!

from an email addressed to Con Ed from property owners along Sprain Road / Ridge Road area:

Dear Sirs:

I think it needs to be clear that we are, in no way, adjusting to our living conditions now that we are suffering from the effects of the obscene clear cutting behind our house. We hope that our lack of barraging you with emails and phone calls does not give you this impression. I am not getting used to the amount of noise, nor am I getting used to the other effects of it. The sound is like an unescapable set of nails on a blackboard to me. I cannot get a good night's sleep because of it, and am starting to experience physical effects of the stress and sleep depravation that this situation is causing me.

While you all have likely gone on with your lives as usual, I wake up every single morning and become angry and/or sad because the horrific traffic noise is the first thing I experience in my day. When I come home from a long day at work, I see the ugliness that you have left all around our town, and most abhorrently along our road, before I even get all the way home. It is infuriating and heart-breaking at the same time. This unhappy person is not the person I've been for the prior 41 years of my life. In addition to the anger and sadness, I suddenly feel unsafe in my own home. This is unacceptable. We have been violated by the actions of Con Edison. You had no right to affect our lives like this.

That being said, when we met exactly four weeks ago, we were told we would be hearing from you with a proposal about the trees. We have not heard anything other than an ambiguous e-mail. We have not seen a proposal. You should realize that this lack of communication makes us feel even more disrespected by you. We had been assuming that the delay had been due to things being "in the works." However, it has been four weeks since that initial meeting with you. We have no idea why we are not hearing anything more and can only assume the worse. If "the worse" is not the case, then please communicate that to us.

You have no idea how miserable you have made us in our own home. We cannot forget about this situation for one day that we are in our house. Have you forgotten?

We are also still awaiting the information that my husband FOILED a very long time ago.

Sincerely,

Kristina M. Cascone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The sad part is that Con Edison's efforts at re-planting and mitigation are pitiful. Once devastation like this happens, the damage is pretty much done. Our elected officals should have prevented this from happening in the first place. To introduce legislation in Albany to correct the situation is good, but it will take years. Our elected officals need to do more in order to stop this.